In-Flight Training, Days 9, 10, 11 & 12

numbersOh my…where do I begin?! I apologize for not staying updated but I have been focused on getting through this past week. It has been a long week to say the least. Somehow my experience living in a hotel is not as fun as Disney made it out to be on that show The Suite Life of Zach and Cody…hahaha. The beds are really like a giant marshmallow. I am not going to complain about those though!! They are awesome!!  Seriously though, I know that it is only a temporary situation so that I may complete my training. I do miss my home though and I miss everything about it. I am a true NC girl at heart no matter where I travel to. Most of all, I miss my KIDS!!!! We talk almost daily or text. They are so supportive and why I am here is because of them. I want to give them a world beyond what they know and this career will allow that.

Earlier in the week we have had some pretty intense drills that we have had to perform. It is such a pressure and stress to get them verbatim as we have been prompted to do. The day we had to do the door drill, my entire chest and neck broke out in hives from the stress. I seriously have some bad study habits. My problem is I don’t like to read. I am more of a hands on person. Show me once and I got it! For instance, show me directions I a city just once and I can get myself back there. Before a day is done, I know my way around almost as well as the locals…LOL. So for me, having to buckle down and stick my nose in a manual has been my biggest challenge. I have four highlighters and they are used generously. I find ways to make acronyms out of things I have to study. I have even gone so far as to google an image of something on the aircraft, save it to my phone and use that as a visual. The way I see it…if it works, go for it! In the end, it is what it is…ya know? I am so done with over thinking things.

We were at the hangar one evening. I cant explain the feeling walking next to all those big belly metal tubes! I felt so small. As my eyes studied each one of them as I walked past them, I couldn’t help but get a little choked up. It may sound silly to some but to me it was my little moment in that hangar. Then I stepped on the plane to get the feel of things and it was even more exciting. This was going to be my workspace. It was going to be where I can help make a small, tiny difference in someone’s life for a couple of hours or a huge difference in the even of an emergency. I hope that it doesn’t happen but I am preparing now for if and when that time comes.

Being a flight attendant is a dangerous job if we are going to flip the coin and examine both sides. I have done much of this as I self reflect on my new lifestyle. I had to giggle to myself and know that I get this from my daddy.  All those years that he put on his uniform, got into his patrol car and kept our highways safe. Each time, he knew it was a risk but he left for his duty each day with a faith that God would keep him safe and bring him home to his family. He had an amazing and successful career and then retired. I find myself in the same situation other than I am getting a later start at my new career and lifestyle. When I put on my uniform for the first time, I am representing something beyond just looking well put together. I am someone who knows the risk and dangers that can accompany me in the event of an emergency but training prepares you with the tools you need to act accordingly. It is hard to think of that but I try to put it in the back of my mind but if you want the truth, it is something that will never go away. I have to stay alert to keep the passengers and the crew safe. It is a new path for me and one I take a lot of pride in.

This week has been all about emergencies and safety. I have enjoyed it but I am very tired. You can’t just come here and graze over the material…you must commit to memory because it could save your life or the life of a passenger one day. I am hoping to pass todays exam with a high score because I feel I have really paid great attention to the emergencies procedures this week. We did have a nice little July 4th cookout provided to us. It wasn’t the same as spending it with my family but it was okay. I could tell the hotdogs were cooked on a gas grill….hahaha. I am so spoiled to my charcoal grill!

On the flip side of my coin, I see me taking my kids to many places all over the world as I gain new knowledge of this lifestyle. I try not to look too far ahead because being the social butterfly and free spirit that I am, it is easy to do. I have a lot to get use to in the coming days so I pray that it will transition smoothly. I will say that I am so tired of wearing my hair up…lol. It feels so good to let it down when I am not in class. I am debating if I should cut it back a little shorter like I have had it for the last couple of years or not. Ahhhhh….can this just be the biggest decision for a while? My brain is just in massive overload as of today…and its going to get harder.

The reality in all of this is simple. From here on out, any drill you can’t pass you have to go home and that is the end of the line. Yes, I have a base assignment and all the goodies that go along with this but you have to pass the drills, written exams and the finals. How heartbreaking this will be to not do this. That too is in the back of my mind. You somehow prepare yourself mentally for that moment if it were to happen. I am doing all I can to not see that happen to me. I want this really bad…and not for me so much. As I have said time and time again, this is for my kids. Yes, I plan on taking my parents places and so forth but it is a pressure to not let them down. Swirled up in the middle of all those thoughts is also the comfort of knowing that no matter what, my family supports me and will be there to comfort me. I am confident in that. I come here and I am doing my ultimate best. I will push each day I am here. It is as simple as that.

So, that has really been the last few days. Go to class, take a short break, eat a snack, go to the restroom, go back to class and repeat that around 10 times in one day…lol. At the end of the day which can often be close to midnight, you go to bed, find time to study and back at home plate doing it all over again. Good grief I am tired!!

Thank you all for your awesome love and support!

Love, Hugs & Smiles 🙂


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s