Have you ever been to a store or a market and they have a cart sitting filled with bags and on the bags it reads, ‘Grab Bag’? Aren’t those always fun to pick up? You never know what you are going to get in that bag but just those words spark a curiosity within you that you eventually (and sometimes spontaneously) walk out with a ‘Grab Bag’.
I am like a grab bag. A hodgepodge of traits that are as broad as any spectrum you can imagine. I often joke that if you were to be able to visually see for yourself, the inside of my brain when you first approach me, then what you will find is a very active hurricane of a kaleidoscope. You can’t keep up with me – that is unless you are a hodgepodge of traits like me.
Creativity is something that has run deep within me since I was a child. If my parents were doing something, I had to be right in the middle of them. I loved to watch and learn how things were being done. Probably the one exception was helping my uncle in the garden when I spent summers toward the coast. Little did I know how valuable that would become in my life later on as an adult. No, I don’t have a garden but I do have an interest in fresh, farm produce and wish I could motivate myself to grow a small one. Anyway, the point is that if my family was doing something – I was all in the way asking questions, wanting to help, watch, learn.
I was in high school and had to take one of those career test things (I don’t remember what they were called) and it basically told you what career you were good at based on your characteristics. For me, I was that kid who fit different molds. Daddy always said they broke the mold when they made me. What can I say? I am a curious person by nature but I am a curious person with common sense if you can understand that. Meaning, I know my boundaries, my limitations and I know when I am in over my head and I also know when to bow out gracefully.
As you know, I love to write. It is a great outlet for my thoughts and one day I do plan to write a book. I have saved some writings on my laptop already but I know this will take some time for there are some chapters in my life I pray to happen which would help complete the story. Moving forward, I will tell you some of my other creativity because no matter what it is, how hard it may look or how crazy it may seem – I am loving it and I am tackling it head on!
- As many of you know, I am also a hairstylist of almost 28 years this coming August. If it needs to be done, I can do it. Especially when it comes to color. Where most have to study color for years, for me, it just comes as natural as breathing.
- I am a flight attendant with one of North America’s largest regional airlines. I don’t have to tell you all of the independent qualities that flight attendants posses. That is another blog in itself, lol.
- I have my own tool box and I love tools as much as the next handyman does.
- I can sew – minimal repairs, hems, etc but nonetheless, I can do it. Mama gave me a sewing machine and I am learning my way around that sucker!
- Paint. I love to paint. I find it very relaxing and it’s calming to the mind.
- Cars. I am no certified mechanic but when it comes to a car, I am not afraid to do the work if I can help myself. Oil changes, brakes, valve cover gaskets, alternators – I have done them. A car is just that – a car. It won’t bite you. So get in there and learn!
- Negotiator. I am not afraid to negotiate for what I want in this life. I have been known to go up against some pretty fierce personalities but with confidence, truth, facts and God on my side – you can’t go wrong. Just make sure you are always factual if this is who you are. You can argue opinions all day long but you can’t argue facts. Remember that.
- Risk. I am not afraid to take risk. I do proceed with a little more caution than I use to in my younger days but nonetheless, I am not afraid to put myself out there. People ask ‘Why?’. I ask ‘Why not?’.
- Awareness. I am always aware of my choices, impulses and spontaneity. I am not just one individual when it comes to creativity, I am a multitude of people but make no mistake – never confuse this with multiple personalities. That is two very different things. Very different.
- Passionate. When I am passionate about something, which at times can be A LOT, then I am very proactive about it. Especially when it comes down to people doing the right things morally. I am straightforward, candid and forthcoming in my dealings with others. I have learned that no one will fight harder for you than yourself.
- Funny. Creative people are funny, full of quick-witted jokes, make light of things that may make us feel downtrodden and we have high aspirations for ourselves no matter the situation.
So as you can see, many of the descriptions of myself above are just a few. I see so many people who live a life who say ‘I wish I could ______’ or ‘I wish I could ______’ and I always tell them ‘Well why don’t you?!’ and I see the look on their face as if someone punched them in the stomach. Listen, there is nothing that should hold you back from going after what you want in life. It does not have to be extravagant, it doesn’t have to be on a big scale but whatever it is, make sure it is for YOU!
Creative people like me, who have a hodgepodge of traits will always be ‘busy’ in some form or fashion. We are the type of person whom you can’t pin down because our interest range so far and so wide that our uniqueness and contradictory ways always make sense in the end. What is so sad about that? Many of those who are opposite of who we are can’t understand us and therefore get frustrated easily. We are truly a breed of uniqueness. A real meaning to the term ‘One of a Kind’.
When you speak of creativity, I read a really great article where Frank X. Barron quoted the following, “Creativity is informed by a whole host of intellectual, emotional, motivational and moral characteristics. The common traits that people across all creative fields seemed to have in common were an openness to one’s inner life; a preference for complexity and ambiguity; an unusually high tolerance for disorder and disarray; the ability to extract order from chaos; independence; unconventionality; and a willingness to take risks.“
I am embracing this hodgepodge of traits that I am! I love it and I love that I can’t be tied down to one specific thing in life. I love the freedom, the ambition and the drive that I have to strive for more. Exciting to see what God has stored for me and my friend, Vanessa as we venture on with our business called Flighty Finds. We are certainly passionate. Peas and carrots. A hodgepodge pair who are seeking to take our uniquely qualified, funny, hilarious and God filled passion to a new milestone.
Peace, Love & Hugs